A farmer’s wife called the local phone company to report that her telephone failed to ring when her friends called. On the few occasions when it did ring, she noted that her dog always moaned right before the phone rang.
The phone repair man proceeded to the scene, curious about whether it was a psychic dog or senile lady.
He climbed the telephone pole outside the farmhouse, hooked in his test set and dialed the subscriber’s house. The phone didn’t ring right away, but then the dog moaned and the telephone began to ring.
When the repair man climbed down from the pole he inspected the dog more closely.
- The dog was tied to the phone system’s ground wire with a steel chain and collar.
- The wire connection to the ground rod on the house was loose.
- The dog was receiving 90 volts of electric current when the number was dialed.
- After several jolts, the dog would start moaning and then urinate.
- The wet ground would close the circuit, thus allowing the phone to ring.
This proves the fact that some problems actually CAN be solved by pissing and moaning.